Recently ranked by Lonely Planet as one of the Top 10 cities in the world to visit, the Sunnyside Tavern's central location makes it the perfect place to start your tour of a region that the world is racing to discover.
The options are many and varied. Attend a major concert at the Newcastle Entertainment Centre or magnificent Civic Theatre; cheer for your favourites at one of the many big sports events at Hunter Stadium; or soak up the fun and atmosphere at any one of the many festivals and events regularly held in the region. There's action on the harbour with the National Maritime Festival and art aplenty with the ‘This is Not Art’ programme, ‘Live Sites’, ‘Illumination Newcastle’ and the renowned Newcastle Regional Art Gallery to name just a few. Add to this the many wine and food events held across the year, and you should never be at a loss for choices.
Within a short drive of your base at the Sunnyside you can find all of the following:
• Some of the best beaches on the East coast – 10 mins
• The Harbour Boardwalk café and bars – 10 mins
• Whale watching off Newcastle – Departure point 10 mins
• Catch all the sporting action at Hunter Stadium - 2 mins
• Local and International acts at the Newcastle Entertainment Centre - 2 mins
• World famous wines of the Hunter – 45 mins
• Magnificent Port Stephens and swimming with the dolphins – 40 mins
• Blackbutt Reserve (Nature & animals) – 5 mins
• Golf – Numerous world class courses including the famous Newcastle Golf Course, consistently rated amongst the leading courses in Australia (20 mins), to some of the best resort courses in the country, winding through the vines in the Hunter Valley (45 mins)
• Newcastle jockey Club and all the horse racing action – 5 mins
• Trotting – 2 mins